Friday, February 19, 2016

Maria Blanc Zoco
Dr. Datcher
Publishing a Journal
February 16, 2016
The Value of the Maternal Language
As we talked about values that we have inherit from our families as well as family stories, I think back to the time when my family and I moved to the States. This happened 9 years ago, my four siblings and I did not speak any English so the move was more difficult due to the language barrier. No sabiamos nada.
When we started school everything I heard was unknown I didn’t know a single word, because my school in Spain was French not English. In order to learn the language faster my siblings and I had help at school and a tutor after school everyday. It felt like we were training for a language marathon and we had to learn one language in a small period of time.
            As a result of these intensive classes many teachers and even family friends started asking my parents why they didn’t stop speaking Spanish to us so that we could be fully emerged both at school and at home. My parents refused this idea; they believed that it was already a big change to come to a different country and that taking our native language away from us would take away a part of whom we are.
            As I think back I am grateful that my parents didn’t decide, “to fully emerged us” by talking to us in English. There are sometimes where I encounter people and they tell me that their parents are from a Spanish speaking country but they don’t know Spanish because their parents haven’t inculcate the language to them.  Every time, I question the reasons behind why would someone stop the passing of their heritage? Knowing a language is not a handicap is a virtue, I think that people who alienated that virtue  miss out on representing their country and who they are.

            For me my language is part of my identity and who I am, is a piece of my personality and is also my way of communicating with the rest of my family members. My language is also a connection to my country, my roots and my values. I believe in the importance of passing along the maternal language not only because is an advantage to know languages but also because it raises a sense of cultural awareness within the self.  I believe that the values that I was raised with have help me become a more culturally aware individual and that thanks to my parents I am able to also advocate my country to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment