Thursday, February 25, 2016

Myer Briggs

“Have you taken the Myer Briggs Test?” You have to take it!
When my roommate asked me this a few days ago, I scurried to look through my results from the test I took a few years ago.
The Myers Briggs test boils one’s personality down to four simple letters. The first letter deciphers extraverted vs. introverted(HumanMetrics). The second defines one’s preferences of sensing or intuition. The third letter represents one’s inclination to think versus feel. The final letter reveals one’s preference for judging versus perceiving. The combination of these letters amount to sixteen distinctive personality types(Humanmetrics).
Remembering that I saved my personality results as a document on my laptop, I looked through all of my files to finally I found my results.
I distinctly remember the feeling I had as I took the test years prior. Like millions of others, I took the test in hopes of becoming more self-aware and as a means of soul searching (Atlantic).  
 I recalled that as I finished the test, I felt understood and more confident in the reality of my strengths and weakness as a person. My results equated to the personality type, INFP: Introversion, Intuition, Feeling and Perception.
On the website the introduction of my personality stated
“Forming around 4.5% of the population, INFP personalities are usually perceived as calm, reserved or even shy. However, such an exterior can be deceptive – even though INFPs can be somewhat cautious, their inner flame and passion is not something to be taken lightly. People with this personality type are really affectionate, a trait not often seen in other types(16Personalities).”
Expecting to once again self reflect on my strength and weaknesses in reading the detailed personality description, the results before me were quite simply outdated.
The Myer Briggs test gives you results assuming that the results can decipher one’s personality down to a simple static formula. As I pondered upon my results from sophomore year, I realized the impact college has had on my personality. While my values and morals have remained, I have challenged aspects of my personality results that were once prominent weaknesses that in many ways stifled me.
While the test can be self reflective, I believe it is crucial to understand personalities can evolve. Humans are complex and should never be stifled by a test that believes it has you indefinitely figured out.
As expressed this to my roommate she replied, “My mom said she had the same personality as me when she was younger but has a completely different result now in her 50s.’

If in these short four years my results have changed, I cannot even bear to grasp the amount I will grow and evolve for decades to come.
-Karen
 http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

https://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality

No comments:

Post a Comment