Thursday, March 17, 2016

A Topic No One Wants to Talk About: Suicide


By: Allayah Beamon
March 14, 2016 1:20 p.m. PST


I was a victim of suicide I didn’t do it because the love of my life walked into the room screaming while I was suffocating myself and trying to cease my capacity to breathe, I heard him yell, “STOP!” I stopped, but in that moment I was sure it was the end. I was sure I didn’t need to live anymore. Backstory: we had just had a very deep conversation that ended the relationship and lead us to go separate ways but I couldn’t imagine living without him, so my brain just switched to a level of insanity and I was truly zoned out, not thinking and ready to end my life right there, in his home in his room.

I’m sure he would have been devastated, or even cried himself to death of I would have went through with it, but I didn’t. I know I need help, sometimes I feel depressed and weak when things are going badly in my life but then I have to remember how many people will be damaged forever if I caused my own death.

Life is hard but leaving him all alone is even harder.

I hate to see him cry, I hate to see him yell, so I stopped but there are so many people who don’t stop, who don’t have anyone who cares to talk them out of their decision, so those are the ones who need help and consulting.

A lot people who have never been in a serious state of depression wonder what thoughts run through the minds of a person who is on the verge of committing suicide and for me, I start to see caskets, freedom from the stress that earth deals me, peace and serenity.

When I go to that place, it’s a really dark place, and it’s like I’m in another dimension, world or atmosphere where I escape the life I was previously living.


Suicide is becoming one of the most common methods of fatality in the world.

According to Suicide.org, “Over one million people die by suicide worldwide each year. The global suicide rate is 16 per 100,000 populations. On average, one person dies by suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world.”

It is the act of an individual deciding and performing self-harm which results in taking that individual taking their own lives. I get it, it’s a pretty scary topic to just talk about in everyday conversation, but it happens more often then not.

A male student at Loyola Marymount University decided to end his own life, and cut his journey short in February 2016, on campus in the parking structure. It must have been difficult for his family and friends to cope with such a tragedy.

In America college students, are ranked as high suicidal individuals because the pressure from college, growing up, workload, and societal expectations may cause them unhappiness, and in order to escape, they kill themselves.

There are so many methods of suicide…

Ashley a psychology major states, “People, shoot themselves, stab themselves, starve to death, suffocate, hang themselves, cut themselves, choke themselves, and more commonly jump off tall buildings where the only end result is death, and its immediate.”

That’s terrible I am sure your all wondering but it happens so much and there isn’t enough talk about it at all.  People are afraid, and very touchy when the word is even said, but that’s the issue. Many college students are facing these situations and before they decide to harm themselves there should be more of an awareness of the repercussions of suicide. It doesn’t have to be spiritual or religious but there is always a way to stop it.

The government should place more funds into strengthening and building more resourceful programs to help victims of suicide; I nothing is guaranteed but we at least have to try and do something.


No comments:

Post a Comment