Monday, March 21, 2016

“Jambo, “Habari,” ‘Nzuri”; “Hello,” “How are you,” and “I am well.” This is over half of all the Kiswahili words that I know. However, “Chupele” is completely in Kiswahili, and I understand it so well. I am not sure what I am literally saying when I sing “Chupele,” but my interpretation is what matters the most. “Chupele” is describing the importance of sisterhood and coming together despite differences. “Chupele” is about the bonds that can be created through simple things. The literal meaning of the song may be completely different, but that is not what matters. I don’t really care to find out the true meaning because no matter what it is I would still be deeply connected. The passion in my sisters voice is what makes “Chupele” such a beautiful and powerful song. I know “Chupele” is powerful because it not only helped to connect with people around the globe, but even in my own home.
When I left Daraja so many of the girls wrote notes to me in my journal. Many of them read, “See you soon sister,” “I love you sister,” and “Please return soon because I will truly miss you sister.” Throughout my dozens of letters there was one that truly stuck out to me. The closing sentence from a form 1(freshman) Dianah read, “I am so jealous of your sister because she has the honor to tell people you are her big sister.” I began to cry. I cried because I thought that Dianah considered me a sister. I cried because I’d really began to form relationships with Dianah and so many other girls at Daraja. I cried because I felt guilty. 
I didn’t think my sister was always as proud to call me her big sister as others may think. My sister knows all of my accomplishments and she knows that I’m really proud of them, but we did not have a close personal relationship. She was always happy to see me leaving on another trip or internship in high school, but not because she was prod; she just liked anything that got me out of the house.
Since I went off to college our relationship has gotten a lot better, but the only time before then I ever really bonded with her was when I taught her “Chupele.” We sat on my bed and just sung in a soft voice that I distinctly remember my sisters in Kenya using. I cannot name a time where I have actually bonded with my sister on this level. Sure my sister and I still argue over who gets the remote control, who’s turn it is to ride in the front seat or other small things. “Chupele” is my favorite song and I cannot watch the videos of my sisters singing it on my final night at Daraja without shedding a tear. I love that song because it will forever connect me to my sisters in Kenya, my friends who took the trip with me, and my sister at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment