Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Allayah: Near Death Experience: Miracle Baby

Near Death Experience: Miracle Baby

By Allayah Beamon
3/29/16 @ 10:00 A.M. PST

           For me it all started on October 20, 1994 at Torrance Memorial Hospital. On that day a near death experience almost occurred. I am Allayah Jane Beamon the second born child, to my mother Tawanda S. Stewart, Wright, Beamon, Evans who was rushed to the hospital after experiencing mind blowing pain in her abdomen; only hitting the pregnancy cycle at 7 months, there was no way my birth could wait any longer. She was only 28 weeks pregnant, with 8 more weeks to go, it was impossible to perform natural labor, so immediately she underwent surgery. The doctor had to perform a C-section; her stomach was cut right above her uterine wall. As the doctor was performing the procedure, my umbilical cord was stuck around my little tiny neck, cutting off all access to the oxygen. I was losing air in my lungs, turning purple.
It was a miracle I swiveled around in there and the cord became untangled. During the dreadful process, her blood pressure had climbed to 250/140, and then she fell into a mild stroke. But there was no way for the doctors to get me out without losing her. The probability of both of us living was slim to none. After injecting her with some sort of medication to save her life, he continued cutting, and after 10 minutes of her stroke, she began to breathe normally, and feel her body again. The doctor was able to pull me out her womb, and then my bloody, slimy, tiny body was brought into this world. I the fetus, not fully developed, unhealthy, and weightless baby was delivered only weighing 3lbs, 7 ounces.  Due to my undeveloped lungs, heart, and complications intestinally, the hospital had to keep me in their care for 3 months. For my mom and my dad leaving me behind in that hospital was the most devastating thing they have ever had to do. They couldn’t take me home, or get me dressed, and wash my bottom. Gladly, after the C-section the doctors were able to stabilize my mom, but from that day on she has been diagnosed with High blood Pressure (HBP), and I believe it’s my fault we almost saw the grave.  I didn’t ask to be born, I didn’t ask to be born prematurely, I didn’t ask for anything at all.
From the stories I hear from several family members, my outside appearance seemed to be fully developed, they called me “adorable”, with my head full of hair. Despite the outer appearance internally I was an inadequate baby. My dad always said, “I was so small, he could hold me in one hand.” The only reason I believe them, is because I have seen the proof with my own eyes, and it still amazes me to this day. Although no one died, it was a blessing and a testimony we both were of witness to. I almost lost my life, while she was trying to give me life. She is my life giver, and a true survivor of trauma. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if she had died that day, or I would have died that day.  What would life be like, without the inexistence of one of us or both of us for that matter? But I stopped wondering because it didn’t happen. We both were able to see the light of day again. And that’s just the beginning to my mom’s life and her war with death.



No comments:

Post a Comment