Thursday, April 21, 2016

Closing Thoughts of an English Major

My initial motivation behind choosing a major in English was not so much spurred by an unbridled passion for reading and writing like so many of my colleagues, but more so for lack of a better idea. In my high school naivety, I regarded the major selection proponent of college applications more as a tentative consideration than as a commitment to what I would actually be studying for four years. Upon my arrival as freshman, still unsure as to what truly sparked my interest, I decided to stick with English for the time being while I explored general classes, certain that I would change majors once I found my niche’. Four years, an additional Political Science major, and $20,000 in student loans later I still find myself questioning whether I made the right choice.
         Three weeks before graduation I find myself with more questions than answers. My friends in more “sensible” majors such as computer science or accounting have their post-grad plans solidified while I have been battered by questions about the “practicality” of my major and the uncertainty of my job prospects after graduation. However, looking back on my college career, I find it hard to regret that I was immersed in an environment that encouraged me to pursue my passions, turning studying from something I dreaded into something I organized my life around. I realized that my English classes weren’t just about the immediate texts we were studying. I was learning how literature could teach empathy; how the critical thinking skills we acquired while examining Shakespeare were essential to thinking deeply and truthfully about the world. English is often mocked for the no-wrong-answer subjectivity that comes with interpretation, but the process of evaluating a text and forming my own ideas about it has taught me what a powerful argument looks like, made me open to change, and prepared me to put my creative stamp on my future work. Beyond learning to do a proper close reading and write a cogent term paper, I have been learning to invent.

       While uncertainty may frighten some, I consider the absence of a prescribed career path to be an unanticipated asset, leaving me free to explore areas I have never before encountered. If there’s anything I’ve learned from watching my college career unfold, its that despite plans or preparations, things will rarely turn out as expected. I have come to understand that I must embrace practicality and acknowledge that my path may be riddled with more hills than some of my friends’ and colleagues’, but I can always find solace in what studying the Humanities has done for me.  It has opened a number of doors, and my biggest dilemma will be which one to walk through.

No comments:

Post a Comment