Friday, April 22, 2016

The Fear of Farewell

The gentle wind swiftly stole the leaves as I walked down the path of Alumni Hall, a route I have walked hundreds of times throughout my four years at LMU. The view of the chapel, palms trees and the sun if not beaming, shyly finding its glow through the California clouds.

15 more days.

With every chapel bell reminding that time is passing. Reminding me that this walk and this path, once my path and the path reserved for my peers has reached its imminent destination for the class of 2016. With new young faces nervously walking this path for campus tours, anticipating the initiation of the college experience, I calmly accept my fate. Campus is not the same as it was in 2012 upon my arrival. I can walk aimlessly and comfortably with a premature nostalgia for what will no longer be.


With Facebook post and Snapchats filled with reminders of the countdown to graduation, the panic is inescapable. The unknown, the insecurity and most of all the familiar yet feared enemy named change has confronted us again. Just as these upcoming freshmen walk around campus nervous yet excited for the future, we fill similar shoes not on campus, but in the real world.

Four years ago campus was not familiar, seemed a bit desolate to me, and more than anything, not “home.” Gradual change often goes unnoticed, yet as I graduate I continue to recall my freshmen self. Graduation haunted me as a young LMU student yet with the commencement two weeks away I feel at peace. The answer to what I want to be is “I’m not sure yet” and the truth is for most people you aren’t sure until years after. What I know with certainty is this is the right moment of closure. LMU has given me the education and memories I sought out for and this comfort on campus and in my daily life is a sign of my need for monumental change. “Life begins outside of your comfort zone.”

In fact, we have factors in our favor with the strongest hiring outlook in 10 years according to recent studies published.

 While the chapel bells will ring one last time on our graduation day, I hope the class of 2016 finds comfort the memories, growth, and milestones that have taken place from the first greeting of the chapel bell to its final farewell ring.

Karen 




http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/workplace/article73116442.html

No comments:

Post a Comment