Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Everyone knows that when you think college students you think stress… or partying… depending on the person. Sure, people aka adults in the real world; tell us we have it easy—that we’re living the life. But stress is commonly associated with college students for many reasons; not only are we being prepared for the “real world” but we are constantly in friction with who we are. Who are we? Who do we want to be? What do we want to do about it? Excess stress then leads to hopelessness then depression.  In 2016, according to National Data on Campus Suicide and Depression, more teenagers and young adults died from suicide than from all other medical illnesses combined.
Accordingly, to add to the level of stress is students who have to pay their way through school or have part-time jobs and or internships. As a senior myself,    I have two internships , a job on campus, president of a club, and e-board member, all while being a full-time student and daughter. I live at home so being a full-time daughter is actually a thing to add to that list.  It wasn’t until I was a sophomore that I realized that internships were something else I needed to make time for. How else do I meet people in the work place? How else can I show I am qualified after college when I’ve only worked in the library as a shelver? More people are attaining a bachelor’s degree… how do I make myself standout? Internships.  Reported in 2016, about four out of five students work part-time while studying for their degrees – an average of about 19 hours a week. 
Jaylene Menjivar, a junior at Loyola Marymount University, works an average of 19 hours a week with 16 units, and somehow students are told to allocate three hours per unit—all while having a life. “I wouldn’t be so stressed all the time. I’d have more time to have a social life but also sleep. I feel like I could have a more well-rounded college experience.” She takes a deep breath at the thought of such a thing.
So in light of all these expectations, stress, and “finding ourselves” how do we navigate a better quality of life in such a fast paced lifestyle? Do we just suck it up and keep truckin’? Or do we speak to our professors for guidance…. So many questions. Any ideas?  Time management won't suffice.  







No comments:

Post a Comment