Sunday, March 19, 2017

Headdresses’, Sombrero’s, and Poncho’s in Germany


“Kim, it’s crazy how we live in our own little bubble in the U.S. and we don’t realize that there is seriously a problem. Like today at Karneval, it’s like celebrating Mardi Gras in Germany and you like dress up and there were people in like head dresses and like sombreros and ponchos and fake mustaches and they like didn’t know anything about culture appropriation. Like they didn’t find anything wrong with it.” I could hear Jacky’s frustration 5,773 miles away. Now I’ve known Jacky since we were juniors in high school and she’s been my best friend ever since. It is strange to say that we are best friends and that we are so close because we are complete opposites in just about everything. She’s an art, and photography major and I’m a political science and journalism major. I am very vocal when it comes to political issues while she rather not have all her conversations be about politics. Even though she tries not to talk about politics or society with me she couldn’t help it this time.

            She continued to say “I even asked my host brother if he knew about why people in Germany didn’t see a problem with people wearing headdresses’, or dressing up in very stereotypical ways a problem.” He replied saying “I don’t think people in Germany really know what culture appropriation is. Also people might think that people in America are just too sensitive.” Jacky took a deep sigh and over the phone I could hear her about to erupt. I tried to calm her down but this was an issue that really bothered her. So instead of trying to not talk about the issue I took a deep breath and began to tell her about how it is still a huge problem in the U.S. I told her “I remember at the end of January I had to go to a seminar since I had just joined a sorority. The lecture was about fraternity and sorority life. They made us watch a video from MTV where it explained perfectly what culture appropriation was and in the video, they gave us a clear definition of culture appropriation being “dominant groups borrowing marginalized groups cultures who face oppression or have been stigmatized for their cultural practices throughout history.” The video went on to share examples like when there are people wearing native American headdresses, and how the Kardashian wear cornrows but black people still face stigma for wearing them at work or school. I felt like I could hear Jackie’s heart beating through the phone but I wasn’t done telling her everything. I told her that there were two sophomores who raised their hands and asked what’s wrong with wearing a headdress? One of the volunteers answered him by saying well for Native Americans it is a form of honor and it is not a costume which is what is so insulting since there are actual costumes which include headdresses. The student went on and on trying to convince everyone that there was nothing wrong with wearing a headdress and it was evident that everyone in the room had had enough of him. So finally, another student raised her hand and asked him “How would you feel if someone dressed up in an army uniform and completely got wasted and just threw the outfit on the floor.” Everyone in the room could tell that he was angry. His voice became louder as he said “It’s not the same thing that’s actually really disrespectful they fight for our freedom.” That’s when the girl replied saying “it’s the same way they feel. It is a form of honor to them and by making it into a costume they are not being taken seriously.” I couldn’t hear Jacky on the other line anymore. It was as if she had given up like she lost hope knowing that there were people that didn’t understand this issue on campus. I could hear her breathing heavily as if she was about to cry or if she had already begun crying. For the first time, I was speechless I didn’t know what to say to her because I knew that she was already having a hard time studying abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment