Monday, March 6, 2017

To Pimp a Butterfly

To Pimp a Butterfly
            Kendrick Lamars latest effort, To Pimp a Butterfly was the fourth hip-hop album ever archived in Harvard Universitys library. According to producer 9th Wonder in an article in XXL Magazine, In 2012, I was chosen to be a Harvard University Fellow at The Dubois Institute under the direction of @henrylouisgates and Dr. Marcy Morgan, 9th Wonder wrote. I chose the research project These Are The Breaks’….a collection of albums that are the standard of the culture..200 in all in no particular order.
            The first time I heard it, I sat in my room completely in awe of what I had just listened to. I laid down in my bed in my Hannon Apartment bedroom and put on my Beats by Dre headphones and had to pull out my notebook to write down quotes that took out. As I listen, I was floored. I had never heard anything like this album before from the production, rapping, singing, interludes; everything was so carefully curated and masterfully completed. I was simply amazed. As the album ended I just stared at the artwork for a while and thought to myself, Wow, what did I just listen to? Kendrick is the greatest rapper of all time in my book.  He is the mind that Tupac said that he would spark that would change the world.
            This occurred during a time when racial tensions were soaring to new heights. Kendrick Lamar in the meantime, released the most important album across all genres, ever. He used this album to address a plethora of issues that face the black community like the "demonization" of the black man, dark vs. light skin, racism, police brutality/corruption, music industry executives, greed, temptation by the devil, classism and the list can go on forever.
            Kendricks third studio album, To Pimp A Butterfly sonically fuses, hip-hop, jazz, electronic and several other genres in order to produce this politically charged album that highlights the struggles of being a black person in America, but despite these struggles black people must still love themselves despite all of the pain and suffering they may feel from how America views them as less. Kendrick teaches self-love. Kendrick also highlights the temptations that he faces when dealing with what comes with being rich and famous. He refers to these temptations as Lucy short for Lucifer who is constantly tempting him to sell his soul throughout the album but he stands strong because of his beliefs that will not allow him to sell out and be the devils poster child as other rappers have and continue to do.
            In his ending song Mortal Man he ties everything together and states that he will help lead the fight against oppression and hatred following the steps of previous civil rights leaders. He rapped,
                        “The Ghost of Mandela, hope my flows they propel it
                        Let these words be your earth and moon
                        You consume every message
                        As I lead this army make room for mistakes and depression
                        And with that being said my nigga, let me ask this question:
                        When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?
Kendrick also highlights in this song the fact that no matter who you are, as a black man you will be demonized and treated as a criminal. Later in the song he rapped,
                        “If Im tried in a court of law, if the industry cut me off
                        If the government want me dead, plant cocaine in my car
                        Would you judge me a drug-head or see me as K. Lamar
                        Or Question my character and degrade me on every blog
                        Want you to love me like Nelson, Want you to hug me like Nelson
                        I freed you from being a slave in your mind, youre very welcome
                        You tell me my song is more than a song, its surely a blessing        
                        But a prophet aint a prophet til they ask you this question
                        When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?
Kendrick challenges his true fans that when they try to bring him down despite knowing his true character, will we will continue to be fans and believe in the real Kendrick or fall for the trap of the "demonization" of a black man.  Mortal Man is one of the most powerful songs ever created.

            I have been a fan of Kendrick since 2010 when he released his earlier mixtape Overly Dedicated.  Seeing his progression as a fan has been amazing for me because as I have grown older his material has matured also.  He is one of the few rappers who is tackling political issues that dont just plague the black community but the nation as a whole. I could write an essay about each song of this album due to its depth but that will have to wait. I will leave you with this. Kendrick will not be pimped by the industry executives and will put out the music he wants to put out even if it is against the wishes of the label. He will continue to stand up for what is right following in the footsteps of civil rights activists of the past. Do not allow individuals to pimp you. Spread your wings and become the beautiful butterfly you are destined to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment