Wednesday, March 22, 2017

You'd Drink And I'd Lose It... But I Love You.




            He would drink, get aggressive, and him and my mom would fight; sometimes they would just yell and sometimes things were thrown and the police would pay a visit. But this time it was different because he had promised he wouldn’t drink and he broke his promise to all of us. He’d made promises before but this time I had warned him that this was the last time and that we have all had enough… That “he” was my father.
            According to Alcoholism Statistics, today in the United States alone, there are an estimated 28 million children who have alcoholic parents. This figure is staggering when it is considered that at least 11 million of those children are under the age of 18. 
             He’d make scenes at family parties and would not be able to remember the embarrassment and frustration he’d caused the night before. There was an instance where we had visited family in Palmdale, a two-hour drive from home, and he refused to come home with us; he made a scene in front of everyone. He said we could leave and that he was going to stay and keep drinking. So we left him. Of course, the next day he was upset and angrily stated that he never said that. That’s how it always was, really. We’d have to deal with the consequences of his drinking. Then we would all forget about it until it happened again.
            According to an article, Effects on Children of Alcoholic Parents, parents who abuse alcohol place their children at increased risk for alcohol and other drug use as well as psychological problems. The article adds that “although the ramifications of living with an addicted, alcoholic parent are variable, nearly all children from alcoholic families are at risk for behavioral and emotional difficulties live with scars–psychological or physical–as a result of parental alcoholism.”  
            I think we forgot because it seemed easier that way. But eventually, like always, it caught up with all of us. I think what hurt the most was that he chose to keep drinking instead of us. He wanted to numb his pain but he didn’t know that he was numbing more than his pain and deteriorating our relationship. We were not worth it. I was not worth it.
            It was around April of 2014. He made a scene that was by far one of the worst I had ever experienced. It was an intertwinement of chaos, rage, sadness, and disappointment. But after a series of events he comes back from Mexico after his month long absence. He walks in our house as if nothing has changed. The audacity.  My anger bursts and I start telling him how his negligence has broken this family. On the other hand, my oldest, who at the time had already gone years without speaking to him after yet another drunk incident, tells me to stop talking to him. But I ignore him. I take a deep breath and I tell my dad, “Let’s talk just you and I.” I’m not sure what came over me. I felt the need to talk to my dad— a real conversation with him sober. Something that I cannot explain simply came over me.  His level of surprise stemmed due to the fact that his youngest and only daughter, who had not spoken to him in a month, was giving him a chance to explain himself.
            I told him how I feel and how everything I do is for him, for all of his hard work and sacrifice. That my motivation comes from when he tells me to work hard so that I won’t have to work hard like he did, yet he doesn’t let me focus with his drunkenness. When I have papers due or other assignments and he is negligent and I am unable to focus—what then? He tells me that things are different now. That it won’t ever happen again. Things are different because his life is stake that if he continues on this route he could end up in a coma and never wake up.
            “So you want to stop drinking now because it is beneficial for you not because of your family?” He looks at me with a face of astonishment. His eyes pierce into mine and his voice cracks; the Television plays in the background. “You’re not a little girl anymore. Forgive me,” he tells me. And I did. I had to forgive him. He was the father God gave me. For some reason, things were meant to be this way. My dad was fighting his own demons. He would tell my mom how he couldn’t control himself sometimes. His dad, my grandfather, would hit him when he was drunk was growing up.
            According to The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking, “Children from families of alcoholics are at increased risk for alcohol dependence throughout their lives. More than three decades of research has firmly established that genes account for over half of the risk for alcohol dependence, and environmental factors account for the remainder.” 
            His personal experiences marked his childhood and shaped him into the man he would later become. And I think he turned out well despite it all. Our relationship was an emotional rollercoaster, that’s for sure, but I think that’s what made it so beautiful; despite everything he had been through, everything he had put us through, he finally made the decision to change.
            His last year on this earth he spent demonstrating commitment and true love for his family. He stopped drinking. His relationship with me began to flourish; something I always knew was there just hidden somewhere. He started working again, and my parents finished paying off our house after 25 years. Now, after two years without him, this is the last thing I remember. I recall his unconditional love for his children, his sense of humor, his need to make us smile when we didn't have it in us, and his dance moves that he thought were cool when a popular song came on.

It’s not how many times you fall but rather how you pick yourself up after the fall.





http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcohol-education/emotional-effects.cfm
http://www.alcoholism-statistics.com/family-statistics/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK44366/

No comments:

Post a Comment