Saturday, April 8, 2017

An Atheist Walks Into a Jesuit University...

I grew up in a very strict, Italian, Catholic household. Catholicism was huge part of my life. It is what governed my parent’s parenting skills, and set the foundation for my education. In elementary school, up until 7th grade, I went to St. Augustine’s Catholic School in Andover, MA. The school was flooded with religious classes, prayer breaks and my least favorite, the nuns.

I had to go to church three times a week, come hail sun or snow. I found mass to be daunting and a little scary. I remember feeling so small and irrelevant in this massively, ornate church- but also mildly scared by the unison chanting of the crowd. Nevertheless, I went through the motions of it all, as any little scared Italian child would do. Though, my practices and beliefs slowly changed when I moved to California.

The transition from Boston to California was difficult. The land itself is a complete 180 from the rugged, green terrain of Massachusetts. Instead of plush greenery and wild animals, LA holds a concrete jungle of broken dreams, nose jobs and the occasional palm tree. However, it was the city atmosphere that began to change it all. My parents became too invested in each their daily activities and the rushed, fast-paced setting of Los Angeles to put Catholicism first.

Then came the giant, world-wide scandal of the Catholic church. BBC News provides a list of countries involving scandals of sexual abuse within the Catholic Church. In Italy, they reported that, “In June 2010 a high-profile former priest was charged with sexual abuse. Pierino Gelmini, 85, is alleged to have abused 12 young people at a drug rehabilitation centre he founded.” Additionally, in Los Angeles, they informed that, “a report commissioned by the Church the following year said more than 4,000 US Roman Catholic priests had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years, in cases involving more than 10,000 children - mostly boys. A series of huge payouts has been made by US diocese to alleged victims of abuse - the largest being some $660m from the Los Angeles Archdiocese in 2007.”

As all of this played out before our own eyes on almost every single news station across the world, as we continuously struggled to find our religious identity in Los Angeles, it was the same moment we no longer put Catholicism first. Shortly after, we stopped attending mass entirely.
Occasionally, I would see my mother praying. Clutching a small, detailed purple rosary with everything she had left in her. Sometimes I would join in, because times often got tough and we needed that hope-that small beacon of light to get us to the clearing.

Though, when I was a junior in high school I lost a very close friend of mine that I’d known since I moved to California to a freak and utterly tragic car accident. She was sixteen years old.
After Annamay’s passing, I didn’t turn to God anymore for help. I didn’t seek guidance, I didn’t seek anything because I stopped believing in the big white man in the clouds. I was pissed. My heart forever shattered beyond comparable repair. I questioned how could something so “loving, powerful, understanding, and almighty” take the life away from an innocent sixteen-year-old girl on her way to school one rainy morning? I still haven’t found the answer.

I took to my own methods of self-healing and soul searching. I considered myself an Atheist even though I put Catholic on all of my college applications. When I was accepted into Loyola Marymount University I was ecstatic but then that sense of excitement dwindled significantly after my first couple of years.

Being an Atheist attending a Jesuit University is like a rabbit visiting a wolf’s den. I wanted to understand and learn more about various religious traditions, reexplore Catholicism and discover more of myself. However, almost everyone I encountered in either daily passing or in my religious classes behaved like wolves.

I found myself keeping my mouth shut and conforming to professor and peer ideologies because I was shunned or ashamed every time I suggested an alternative perspective or an anecdote from my own life with my faith.

I was in the wolf’s den. Pew Research Center reports that 66% of college graduates are Christian practicing while only 5% are Atheist. How does a rabbit fit in with the wolf pack? They don’t. They dress up like a wolf and howl like a wolf for survival, or they just run right the hell out of there.
However, after being silenced for so long I came to have a deep conversation with a professor of mine who explained to me that I have a right to my beliefs and ideas, and surprisingly enough, she felt very similarly to me.

The Huffington Post reports that “professors in the United States also have a complex understanding of the Bible. According to Gross and Simmons, only 5.7 percent said that the Bible was the “actual word of God.” In contrast, 48.3 percent answered that the Good Book was an “ancient book of fables, legends, history, and moral precepts,” and 39.5 percent note that it is the “inspired word of God.”

Apparently, there are many professors and individuals alike that feel the same way I do! Though, why are we silenced in our journey to religious freedom and expression? Is it because of our environment? Perhaps. However, I can firmly state that three out of four of my university’s religious classes have done nothing but further perpetuate my dislike for organized religion. It was however, the intellectual and unjudgmental discussions and conversations with select few peers and professors who have better guided me in my own understanding of religious identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment