Thursday, April 6, 2017

Special Games Committee

In my college experience as a whole so far, I am most proud of my participation on the Special Games Committee. Special Games is a two weekend event slightly modeled after the Special Olympics in the fact that we plan a day of games and events for people with autism. My sophomore year I was Volunteer Coordinator, helping to spread the word on and off campus for people of all ages to come out and support in any way they can for this wonderful event. This year I am a part of the Events and Equipment team, which means I plan, fix, and take care of all the games themselves. We differ from the Special Olympics however because we are not focused on competition and we set up more than just the average sports games. We have an arts table, matching game, frisbee golf, twirling ribbons, etc. alongside soccer, baseball, badminton, and basketball. This year we celebrated Special Games 40th anniversary and we hoped to provide one of the best years so far for our “athletes.”
Prior to my experience with the committee, I had little interaction with people with autism. The only person I can remember truly interacting with was my friend’s brother. So I can definitely empathize with people when they say that it may be intimidating to volunteer because they feel they do not know what to do or how to act. But once I pushed myself to be openminded, I have never been so happy to see another person smile. It feels unbelievably good to work hard  and dedicate a lot of my time into making an impactful, exciting day for someone else.
Autism, according to Autism Speaks, “refers to a range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication, as well as by unique strengths and differences.” When you step onto the grass at the event, this definition definitely takes light. The diversity among the athletes is grand and many things are surprising. There are athletes that are wheelchair bound, blind, elderly, young, and of all ethnicities. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1 in 68 children has been identified with the Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Last Saturday, I met Kendon, a 35 year old man with savant syndrome. Darold A. Treffert, in his paper regarding savant syndrome, defines it as a rare, but extraordinary, condition in which persons with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, have some ‘island of genius’ which stands in marked, incongruous contrast to overall handicap...Whatever the particular savant skill, it is always linked to massive memory.” Kendon was able to recall any person he had ever met, including my sister 15 years ago when he attended school at Loyola Marymount University graduating in 2005 with an english major. He even was able to tell me things about my sister like her personality, looks, things she was involved in, etc.
“I wanted to go into Law School but they wouldn’t allow me to take the test. Some people aren’t very understanding,” Kendon confided in me. He went on to say many people have underestimated him and his capabilities. Currently, he his writing an autobiography telling about his experiences. “I hope to shed some light on my situation and the similar circumstances of other people who have autism. I also want to show how far compassion can go in another person’s life.”
My involvement in this event changed my worldview as I hope it changes the lives of all people who participate as well. Special Games contributes to a more compassionate and understanding society and I have faith that in the future, it will continue to serve the community and give back a few days of fun for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment