Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Prioritizing Time in The 21st Century

I know what you can possibly be thinking as you read this and yes I am going to ask if you can count how many times a day you scroll through Facebook or any other social media for this matter?
Though it's not exactly what you may be thinking, the real question is what exactly is important in this time of rapid life and detachment from all things that really matter. For instance, how much do we value relationships and our connection to other individuals per se can determine how well you spent your life on this planet.
According to Inc., their article states that “the biggest predictor of your happiness and fulfillment overall in life is, basically, love. Specifically, the study demonstrates that having someone to rely on helps your nervous system relax, helps your brain stay healthier for longer, and reduces both emotional as well as physical pain” and in my case those results align with my experience of these past two years.
I haven’t been on this planet for very long but I can attest to needing or feeling fulfilled with something called love something so basic that doesn’t necessarily have to come from a significant other but rather a feeling that evokes, empathy, understanding, and support. During the last two years, I experienced what it meant to go day by day without having by your side a close-knit of friends or someone to immediately recur for motivation, empathy, and understanding. Since, all my friends are all scattered in different schools, UCLA, UC Irvine and El Camino College Compton Center. My time in Community College is missed, there I’d leave home, wait for the bus with two of my friends, walked together till I got home while running our mouths about how “well” we were doing in English mythology and other cool experiences in and outside of school.
But since I’ve transferred the happy tale ended. It was by the time I met new people I guess to get out of the comfort zone, explore other perspectives. Or perhaps explore a complete side of the world like for instance, explaining my life straight out of a textbook and having others learn about my life that way or learning that on this side of the world every step forward must be planned with years in anticipation; overall, different perspectives I guess, but still didn’t help my nervous and mental well-being. Anyway, in all this assimilation chaos and making myself somewhat competitive and in all the workload, I completely lost track of the importance of love and the showing and receiving of it.
Now I remember why professors in CC encourage students to work together on assignments and meet students from class. I mean it’s undoubtedly obvious that life is easier when circles of support are in place. Then I remembered my History teacher from high school who’d say that “for everything in life you’ll always need each other” or at least this was the way things ran in his class.  But now looking back and applying his saying to real life experiences it makes perfect sense. So what is your idea of fulfillment in life? Do you think the love for others will make you live longer? Maybe these questions will give you a peace of mind and corroborate that regardless of what you do or where you go love is exponentially an influence on your sanity, success, and life span.

https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/want-a-life-of-fulfillment-a-75-year-harvard-study-says-to-prioritize-this-one-t.html?cid=sf01002&sr_share=facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment