Monday, April 24, 2017

First vs. Second Love

I remember it like it was yesterday. I fell in love with my first love senior year of high school. It was one of those corny “High School Musical” relationships. I was one of the captains of the basketball team and she was the head cheerleader. We would do everything together trying to sort through these raw emotions of love. It was hard though considering we were  young and dumb and made 17/18-year-old mistakes that led to our break up. She seemed to move on faster than I did but losing that first love was hard for me. It was really hard because I was going through family problems at the same time and I lost trust in  so many people and developed trust issues.  My ex and I were inseparable throughout our relationship and after our relationship ended I didn’t think loving someone again was possible. I didn’t believe it was possible until a year ago when I began dating my current girlfriend which made me think of the differences of first and second love. 
According to an article by Elite Daily, “The first time you fall in love just may be the hardest you’ll ever fall. Falling in love for the first time is almost dream-like, and I truly believe it’s incomparable. Perhaps this is because it’s all just so new and exciting to feel the warmth, love and acceptance from another person.” This is true. The first time I fell in love was literally uncharted territory and I did not know what to expect. I fell hard and that led to an even worse fall out. My current girlfriend showed me that love is possible again and it’s true. I was still in a weird place when we started dating but so was she. Her last relationship turned out just as toxic as mine but we both talked about how our love for that person kept it going. I think coming from similar ex relationships has allowed us to understand what we both truly want in a partner and everything has been perfect. I have grown to understand that first and second love are different but second love is definitely better. 

According to an article by Odyssey, “You will push them away and give yourself a million reasons why it will never work out, because you can't stand the thought of being hurt again. You'll remember the slamming doors and the fights, and you'll build your walls up. But ever so swiftly, brick by brick, that wall will come down. You'll spend more and more time with that special someone, and your heart will start to feel whole again. Suddenly, you won't to be able to imagine a day going by that you don't talk to them. Oh and their smile, wow that smile, it'll get you every time.”  Naturally people build up that wall in order to protect themselves from being heart-broken a second time but that wall will slowly break down the more time you spend with that new special person. I am guilty of this. I was scared to put my all into someone but finding that strength to do so has allowed me to love again. In an article by the Huffington Post, “Second love, now that’s the real stuff. You’ve grown from all that pain, and you have skeletons that need to be discovered. There is a lot to learn about a person based on what they don’t say, and there’s even more to learn by reaching the point of opening up. Finding the person to accept all of that is a beautiful thing.” The difference between the two is important. If you aren't currently heart broken from that first love, that second love can potentially be even better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment